Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Newman the pig and his carpet of candy

Circus life continues! I've been here for a little more than a month now, but it feels like years. Mondays are our "dark days" when we have no shows, and it kinda screws up my week schedule. I never know what day it is anymore.

Being involved in the actual circus show is fun, but I find it a bit stressful. I don't know why, since I've had *much* more stressful jobs before, but I always get a little nervous backstage.

Example: At one point in the animal act, Newman the pig unrolls a long red carpet. The carpet is important later, but as far as Newman in concerned, that's all he does. I let him out of his cage, he marches out and unrolls the carpet (eats the candy treat inside), and then marches back into the cage and I whisk him away. Not much to it, right?

Well, I'm in charge of Newman's prop - the carpet. I place a mini Snicker's bar in the carpet and carefully roll it up. If I roll it crooked, it unrolls wrong and looks like crap to the audience (or at least I think so).

So I'm backstage before the show one day, trying to roll up this candy in the carpet. I keep rolling and unrolling it, trying to roll it tighter, trying to keep the edges from poking out - basically being kinda anal about it. One of the ring crew guys sees me getting a little frustrated over this carpet and comes over to observe, "Geeze, having a big of trouble with that carpet, har har har! What's the big deal?"

I glared at him: "Listen dude, I have *one* job here. I roll up a piece of candy in a carpet for a pig to eat and I'm gonna do it right!" That showed him. I may not do much, but I do a good job.

On an unrelated note, we jump to New York City in less than a week. I'm very excited to be back in NY. Virginia... kinda sucks. New York here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment